A junior’s experience in a competitive environment can shape the way they develop as a player. We have a few helpful tips to help make your child’s first tournament(s) a success!
- Have children prepare their own tennis bag with necessary items that they will need.
- Have children check themselves in for the tournament.
- Promote Healthy Determination, sportsmanship, effort NOT results, positive attitude
- Talk with your child about whether you should: Stay and watch OR Drop off and leave
- Stay calm and positive
- Do not overreact to points won and lost
- Do not overreact to incorrect line calls or wrong scores
- Encourage your child not to look for you after every points
- Promote the effort that your child gave during the event, win or lose
- Don’t get wrapped up in wins and losses, especially early in their development
- If they lost, don’t let them sense any disappoint from you.